The means tested care fee, is another fee which has income and asset implications. The principal home if assessed, has a component assessed as an asset for the means tested fee. The aged care means test and the aged care home ownership exemptions are different from Centrelink’s/DVA means test and home ownership exemptions. Be careful, the means tested care fee can change significantly when you sell the principal home.


Read more ...

YES, you can negotiate a RAD (formerly Bond) with any facility but it will be up to the facility to accept your offer. RAD's are usually based on the location and the size of the room, views etc. Be careful with aged care facilities who request to see your assets assessment before you know the RAD or DAP amount.

This is like showing a shop keeper how much you have in the bank before they determine the price of the article. You would not accept this from the shop keeper, so why would you accept these requirements from the the aged care facility!
Most daily fees are negotiable with the facility apart from the means tested care fee, which has a set formula and is determined by a person's income and assets after threshold are applied. 
Read more ...

To keep or sell the family home is a very personal decision and sometimes the best financial outcome may not suit the family - so you should not feel pressurised to keep or sell the home.

If you do decide to keep the family home, then the amount you need to borrow for the room has to be considered.

Lump sum RAD's (bonds) are usually hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you do not have enough savings to pay the RAD off, you can pay the DAP (aged care term for interest). The periodic interest rate is set by the government and is quite high. You may have a substantial deficit, where your income will not cover your aged care invoices. So, you need to be very careful on how you manage this situation. If you do decide to rent the home, the Government introduced significant changes for all new residents entering aged care from January 1, 2017, which could impact on your Centrelink or DVA pension. After two years the home will count as an asset.

If you decide to go to a third party lender, then the compounding interest and fees can be significant over just a couple of years. Often the family home is in disrepair and may not be rentable without spending a lot of money. Some family members may also have had bad experiences with tenants and do not wish to worry about a rental property. If these are concerning issues, then sale of the home may just be the best for the family.

Prior to making such a large financial transaction such as selling the family home, you should know the implication on your Centrelink/DVA payments and the means tested care fee.

PrimeCare Financial Planning will ensure that you do not make a costly financial mistake, which can have significant implications on the longevity of your loved ones capital.

Call PrimeCare today on 1300 853 875 your Aged Care Specialists!

Yes, moving into an aged care facility can have an impact on a family member's Centrelink or Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) entitlements.

Did you know that the rules changed for the former home regarding the Centrelink's assets test and rental income?

You also need to understand the impact of selling or retaining the family home – this does require specialist financial advice as all scenarios need to be reviewed prior to making this important decision. The home for new residents entering aged care from January 1, 2017 will be assessed after 2 years by Centrelink. This can change the affordability of keeping the family home substantially.

If you rent the home, this will also count towards the pension income test effect your Age Pension payment.

$$$$$$ Thousands of dollars can be lost or gained if you make financial choices without understanding Centrelink/DVA implications.

Do you know the impact on Centrelink/DVA payments if you keep, rent or sell the family home?

PrimeCare specialise in illustrating these differences to you.

Read more ...

Can you access 'Supported Care'? Formally known as 'Concessional Care'.

Primarily, 'supported care' means that you receive a discount on the accommodation costs as part of the accommodation contribution. To be eligible you must complete the income and assets assessment booklet which most facilities and hospitals or Centrelink will give you. Beware though there are up to over 25 pages of questions you may need to answer, PrimeCare can assist with your Centrelink and DVA requirements. If your assets fall below the first asset threshold you could be eligible for support from the government as part of a co-contribution or you may qualify for full support if your assets fall below the asset free threshold.

Read more ...
Page 1 of 2